The world famous Alhambra Palace, also known as the Red Fortress, is a Moorish palace declared a World Heritage Site, perched on a hill in Granada, is one of the most visited sights in Spain. A must see in Granada. It was built in the 14th century and is one of the most famous examples of Islamic architecture in the world. Here you can read our guide and find visitor information on the Alhambra Palace in Granada, including what to see and expect from your visit, top facts, history, how to get, visiting hours, admissions.
Top Facts about Alhambra Palace
A visit to the Alhambra Palace is an unforgettable experience that offers a unique window into the cultural heritage of Granada and Spain. Whether you are interested in history, art, or simply looking for a beautiful and relaxing space to explore, the Alhambra Palace is a must-see destination that should not be missed. A visit to the Alhambra Palace is also one of the top 10 things to do in Spain.
- The Alhambra Palace was originally built as a fortress and was later converted into a palace by the Nasrid Dynasty.
- The palace complex includes the Nasrid Palaces, the Alcazaba, the Generalife Gardens, and the Palace of Charles V.
- The palace is decorated with intricate geometric patterns, calligraphy, and ornate tile work, reflecting the Islamic influence on the architecture.
- The Alhambra Palace was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984.
- The Alhambra Palace has been the setting for several films and TV shows, including “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Game of Thrones”.
Quick History of Alhambra Palace
The Alhambra Palace was built in the mid-14th century by the Nasrid Dynasty, who were the last Muslim rulers of Spain. It was originally constructed as a military fortress, but it was later expanded and converted into a palace by the Nasrid emirs. The palace complex features several buildings, including the Nasrid Palaces, which were the residence of the emirs and their families, and the Alcazaba, which served as the military barracks.
After the Christian conquest of Granada in 1492, the Alhambra Palace was used as a residence for the Christian monarchs. In the 16th century, the Palace of Charles V was built within the complex, which features a Renaissance-style façade and a circular courtyard. In the 19th century, the Alhambra Palace underwent a major restoration, which helped to preserve the palace and its intricate architecture.
Today, the Alhambra Palace is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Spain, attracting millions of visitors each year. The palace complex features stunning examples of Islamic architecture, including intricate tile work, ornate stucco decorations, and calligraphy. The Generalife Gardens, which are located within the complex, offer a tranquil escape from the bustling city and are a must-see for visitors to the palace.
What to See?
The Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain, is a must-see destination for anyone interested in history, art, and architecture. The palace is an architectural masterpiece that blends Islamic and Christian styles to create a unique and unforgettable space.
No Regrets Booking Advice
Here is a list of things to see at the Alhambra Palace, both on the exterior and interior:
The Alcazaba is the oldest part of the Alhambra, built in the 13th century as a fortress. Visitors can explore the towers and walls of the Alcazaba and enjoy stunning views of Granada and the surrounding countryside.
The Generalife Gardens are located on the east side of the Alhambra, and are a testament to the Islamic architecture and design.
The gardens are known for their fountains, courtyards, and terraces, and offer a peaceful and relaxing space to explore.
The Nasrid Palaces are the most famous part of the Alhambra, and are known for their stunning tile work, intricate carvings, and elaborate archways. Visitors can see the Court of the Myrtles, the Hall of the Ambassadors, and the Court of the Lions, among other highlights.
Palace of Charles V
The Palace of Charles V is a Renaissance palace that was built in the 16th century. The palace houses two museums, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of the Alhambra, and is known for its circular courtyard and imposing architecture.
Hall of the Abencerrajes
The Hall of the Abencerrajes is a stunning chamber that is known for its star-shaped dome and intricate tile work. The hall is named after the Abencerrajes, a noble family that was allegedly murdered by the king.
The Alhambra Palace is also home to several baths, including the Hammam and the Baño de la Mezquita. Visitors can see the intricate tile work and archways that were typical of Islamic baths.
Here is some useful visiting information to help plan your visit:
It is highly recommended to purchase tickets in advance, especially during the high season. Tickets can be purchased online or in person at the ticket office in Granada. There are also guided tours available that include admission to the Alhambra Palace.
As for admission, there is a fee to enter the Alhambra Palace, which can vary depending on the type of ticket purchased. General admission tickets include access to the Alhambra Palace, the Generalife gardens, and the Alcazaba fortress. There are also other types of tickets available, such as evening visits, guided tours, and special access tickets. It is recommended to purchase tickets in advance to avoid waiting in line and to ensure availability, especially during the high season.
The opening hours of the Alhambra Palace can vary depending on the season and the type of ticket purchased. During the high season (April 1 – October 14), the Alhambra is open from 8:30 am to 10:00 pm, while during the low season (October 15 – March 31), the site is open from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. It is recommended to check the official website for the most up-to-date opening hours before planning your visit.
Visitors are required to enter the Nasrid Palaces at the designated entrance time on their ticket. It is recommended to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your designated entrance time to allow for security checks and to explore the Alcazaba fortress and the Generalife gardens before entering the Nasrid Palaces.
Visitors are advised to dress appropriately, with no bare shoulders or midriffs, and to wear comfortable shoes as there is a lot of walking involved.
There are restrooms and a café located near the entrance to the Alhambra Palace, and additional facilities throughout the site. There is also a souvenir shop where visitors can purchase books, postcards, and other items related to the Alhambra Palace.
Photography is allowed throughout the Alhambra Palace, but the use of flash is prohibited inside the Nasrid Palaces.
The Alhambra Palace is wheelchair accessible, with elevators available in some areas. It is recommended to contact the ticket office in advance for more information on accessibility options.
Alhambra Palace Visiting Tips
Here are some visiting tips to help make the most of your experience:
- Purchase tickets in advance: The Alhambra Palace is a popular tourist destination, and tickets tend to sell out quickly, especially during the high season. To avoid disappointment, it is recommended to purchase tickets in advance, either online or in person at the Alhambra ticket office.
- Choose the right time to visit: To avoid crowds, it is recommended to visit the Alhambra Palace early in the morning or late in the afternoon. It is also less crowded during the low season (November to February) and shoulder seasons (March to May and September to October).
- Wear comfortable shoes: The Alhambra Palace is a large site with a lot of walking involved, so it is important to wear comfortable shoes.
- Dress appropriately: The Alhambra Palace is a historical and cultural site, and it is recommended to dress modestly and respectfully. In particular, shorts and tank tops are not allowed inside the Nasrid Palaces.
- Bring a water bottle: The Alhambra Palace is located on a hill, and there are a lot of stairs and walking involved. It is important to stay hydrated, especially during the summer months.
- Take a guided tour: To fully appreciate the history and significance of the Alhambra Palace, it is recommended to take a guided tour. A guide can provide a deeper understanding of the site and point out important details that might be missed otherwise.
- Visit the Generalife Gardens: The Generalife Gardens are located next to the Alhambra Palace and are a must-see for any visitor. These stunning gardens are filled with fountains, flowers, and other greenery, and offer a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Guided tours are available in a variety of languages, and offer a more in-depth and informative experience. Audio guides are also available for rent, which provide detailed information about the history and significance of the site.
Why Buy Guided Tour?
There are many reasons why purchasing a guided tour for the Alhambra Palace is a good idea. Here are a few:
- Better understanding of the history and significance of the site: A guided tour allows you to fully appreciate the history and cultural significance of the Alhambra Palace. The knowledgeable guide can provide insight and details that may be missed otherwise, enhancing your overall experience.
- Skip the lines: With a guided tour, you can often skip the long lines at the entrance and avoid the frustration and time spent waiting in line.
- No need to navigate on your own: The Alhambra Palace can be confusing to navigate on your own, with many different buildings, courtyards, and gardens to explore. A guided tour can help you make the most of your time by directing you to the most important parts of the palace and providing information on the historical significance of each area.
- Insider tips and information: A good guide can provide insider tips and information that can help you better appreciate the Alhambra Palace. This can include tips on the best photo opportunities, where to find the best views, and other interesting details that you may not have known otherwise.
- Enhanced experience: Overall, a guided tour can enhance your experience at the Alhambra Palace, providing a more meaningful and informative visit that will stay with you for years to come.
Buy Your Alhambra Palace Guided Tour in advance Online
Free cancellation up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund