Barcelona offers visitors many opportunities to soak up the sun and enjoy the refreshing Mediterranean waters with its superb array of great beaches. Here are the top 10 beaches in Barcelona, each with its unique characteristics and attractions.
What to Expect?
Barcelona boasts four kilometers of inviting, clean beaches that run along the length of the waterfront. They all offer something for everyone, from family-friendly options to clothing-optional beaches and secluded coves. With their clear waters, golden sand, and a wide range of facilities, visitors can enjoy a great beach day out in Barcelona.
To reach these beaches, visitors can take the metro, bus, or tram. Some beaches are also accessible by bicycle or on foot. Most of the beaches have parking areas nearby, but visitors should be prepared for crowded conditions during peak season.
7 Best Beaches in Barcelona
Sant Sebastia beach
Sant Sebastià Beach is one of Barcelona’s most popular beaches, located in the neighborhood of Barceloneta. With 1,100 meters of fine golden sand and clear, calm waters, it’s an excellent spot to soak up the sun and enjoy a refreshing swim.
This beach is ideal for families with children, couples, and groups of friends looking for a relaxing and comfortable place to spend a day by the sea. Sant Sebastià Beach is located in the heart of the Barceloneta neighborhood, which is filled with a variety of shops, bars, and restaurants.
No Regrets Booking Advice
- Beach Sand and Water Type: The sand on Sant Sebastià Beach is fine and golden, making it a comfortable place to sit and relax. The waters are clear and calm, making it perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and even paddleboarding.
- Facilities: Sant Sebastià Beach is equipped with a variety of facilities, including showers, toilets, and changing rooms, as well as sun loungers and parasols for rent. There are also a variety of beachside bars and restaurants that serve cold drinks and delicious food.
- How to Get There: Sant Sebastià Beach is easily accessible via public transportation. You can take the metro to the Barceloneta station and then walk down to the beach. You can also take the bus or rent a bike and ride along the beach promenade to get there.
Barceloneta Beach is one of the most popular beaches in Barcelona and is typically crowded during the summer months. Visitors can expect a lively atmosphere and a range of activities to choose from, including beach volleyball, jet skiing, and paddleboarding. The beach is also located close to the city center, making it easy to access by public transportation.
Located in the Ciutat Vella district, this beach is known for its soft golden sands, clear blue waters, and numerous amenities. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing day on the beach or want to try your hand at some water sports, Barceloneta Beach is a perfect one.
- Beach Sand and Waters Type: Barceloneta Beach has soft, golden sands that are perfect for sunbathing or building sandcastles. The waters are clear and cool, making it an ideal spot for swimming, snorkeling, and other water activities.
- Facilities: Barceloneta Beach offers a wide range of amenities for visitors, including restrooms, showers, changing rooms, lifeguards, and first-aid stations. There are also numerous restaurants, bars, and cafes nearby where you can grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink.
- How to Get There: Barceloneta Beach is located in the Ciutat Vella district of Barcelona and is easily accessible by public transportation. The closest metro station is Barceloneta (L4), and several buses also stop nearby. Visitors can also reach the beach by bike or on foot, as it is located just a short distance from the city center.
Nova Icaria beach
Nova Icaria Beach is one of the most popular among tourists and locals alike. Located in the eastern part of the city, this beach offers a variety of activities and facilities to visitors. Nova Icaria Beach is a large and clean beach with fine golden sand and calm, clear waters. It’s perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and playing beach sports like volleyball and frisbee. There are also plenty of shaded areas for those who want to take a break from the sun.
- Facilities: The beach is well-equipped with a variety of facilities, including showers, toilets, changing rooms, and sun loungers and umbrellas for rent. There are also several beachside bars and restaurants where you can grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink. If you’re looking for something more active, you can rent kayaks, pedal boats, and other water sports equipment.
- Beach Sand and Waters Type: The sand on Nova Icaria Beach is fine, golden and of medium grain. The waters are calm and clear, with a moderate degree of salinity.
- How to Get There: Nova Icaria Beach is easily accessible by public transportation, including the Metro and bus services. The nearest Metro station is Ciutadella/Vila Olímpica on Line 4 (yellow line). If you prefer to drive, there is a large parking lot nearby. It’s also possible to get there by bike or on foot if you’re staying in the nearby neighborhoods.
Bogatell Beach is a popular destination for those looking to soak up the sun and enjoy the Mediterranean Sea. Located in the trendy Poblenou neighborhood, Bogatell Beach is one of the city’s longest beaches, stretching for over 1 kilometer.
- Beach Sand and Waters Type: Visitors can expect fine golden sand, clear waters, and a relatively relaxed atmosphere, making it an ideal spot for families, couples, and solo travelers alike. The beach also has excellent facilities, including showers, restrooms, and beach volleyball courts.
- Facilities: For those looking for a little more adventure, there are plenty of water sports on offer, such as paddleboarding and kayaking. Additionally, the beach promenade is a popular spot for jogging and cycling.
- How to Get There: Getting to Bogatell Beach is easy, as it’s just a short walk from the Poblenou Metro station. Visitors can also take the H16 or 36 bus, which stops right in front of the beach.
Mar Bella beach
Mar Bella Beach is one of Barcelona’s most popular beaches, located in the Sant Martí district. It is a beautiful, 500-meter-long beach, known for its golden sand and crystal clear waters. It is also famous for being a nudist beach, with a designated area for those who want to sunbathe and swim in the nude.
- Facilities: The beach is equipped with all the necessary facilities to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable visit, including showers, toilets, changing rooms, sun loungers, parasols, and lifeguards. Visitors can also take advantage of the many beachside restaurants and bars that offer a variety of food and drink options. In terms of water sports, Mar Bella Beach is a popular spot for windsurfing, paddleboarding, and kayaking. Visitors can rent equipment and take lessons at the beach. There is also a beach volleyball court for those who prefer to stay on land.
- How to Get There: Getting to Mar Bella Beach is easy, as it is well-connected by public transportation. The nearest metro station is Poble Nou, on the yellow line L4. From there, it is a short walk to the beach. Alternatively, visitors can take the bus or tram, which stop near the beach.
Nova Mar Bella beach
Nova Mar Bella is one of the most popular among locals and tourists alike. Located in the Sant Marti district of Barcelona, it offers a quieter and more secluded experience compared to some of the other beaches in the city.
- Beach Sand and Waters Type: Nova Mar Bella has golden sand and clear waters, which are perfect for swimming and sunbathing. The beach is also popular for windsurfing, kite surfing, and paddle surfing, making it a great destination for water sports enthusiasts.
- Facilities: Facilities at Nova Mar Bella include showers, changing rooms, sunbeds, umbrellas, and toilets. The beach is also wheelchair accessible and has a designated area for people with reduced mobility. There are also several restaurants and bars nearby where you can grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink.
- How to get there: Getting to Nova Mar Bella is easy. The beach is well-connected by public transport, with several bus and metro lines stopping nearby. The closest metro station is Poblenou (Line 4), which is a 10-minute walk away. If you’re driving, there is paid parking available nearby.
Located in the district of Sant Martí, Llevant Beach offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea and boasts a lively atmosphere that draws both locals and tourists alike. Llevant Beach is known for its fine golden sand and crystal-clear waters, making it a perfect spot for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports.
The beach is divided into different zones, including a nudist area, a play area for children, and a sports area with volleyball courts and ping-pong tables. Llevant Beach is also equipped with showers, changing rooms, sun loungers, and parasols, ensuring visitors have a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
- Facilities: Llevant Beach has all the facilities visitors need to enjoy a day at the beach. In addition to showers and changing rooms, the beach also has a first aid station and lifeguards on duty. There are several beach bars and restaurants along the promenade that serve a variety of food and drinks, including traditional Spanish paella and refreshing sangria.
Visitors can rent sun loungers and parasols for a fee, and there are several water sports centers that offer rentals and lessons for activities like paddleboarding, kayaking, and windsurfing.
- How to Get There: Llevant Beach is easily accessible via public transport. The closest metro station is El Maresme-Forum on the yellow line (L4), and there are several bus lines that serve the area. Visitors can also reach the beach by bike, as there is a bike lane that connects Llevant Beach to the city center.